If you’re looking to reconnect with nature this summer without missing out on all the amenities you love when you travel, look no further than our comfy getaway cabins near Starved Rock in Tonica, Illinois. Sit outside and savor the natural beauty of your surroundings, or take part in a variety of summer activities. Read on for our top picks in crafting the ultimate Illinois summer getaway guide.
Enjoy the Outdoors
Leave the hustle and bustle of everyday life behind, relax in peace and quiet, wake up refreshed and enjoy your morning coffee on your front porch listening to the choir of songbirds.
- Starved Rock Kayak Tour: See Starved Rock from a whole new perspective… from the water!
- Cedar Creek Ranch Horseback Riding: Saddle up and try horseback riding, a romantic and fun way to enjoy the great outdoors.
- Starved Rock State Park: Take in some fresh air and get some fun exercise while you’re at it.
- Zip Chicago: Get a thrill with a ziplining adventure!
- Relax On Property: You don’t have to go anywhere to enjoy nature. Recharge at your cabin or roast s’mores in your fire pit.
Shop for Something Special
With so many choices, you’re sure to find the best produce, crafts and antiques at one of our local farmers markets or country stores:
- Canal Market in Utica: Shop local vendors offering quality antiques, collectibles, vintage items, and handmade or homegrown products.
- Ottawa’s Old Town Farmers Market: Find freshly picked, home-grown vegetables and fruits, home baked goods, jams and jellies, dog treats, handmade soaps and fresh roasted coffee at this market in the heart of historic downtown Ottawa.
- Country Kids Produce: This farmers market encourages kids to get involved in selling produce and other items like apple cider, honey and candles. Shopping here also supports kids with special needs by helping them learn and develop marketable skills.
- Boggio’s Orchard: This nostalgic destination is about a 20-minute drive northwest of us, and features a quaint shop to buy produce or baked goods, fudge, home canned goods. They also have a petting zoo and other kids’ activities in the spring and summer, as well as a corn maze in the fall!
- La Salle Farmers Market: Buy fresh local produce, as well as house plants, candles, soaps, and bath bombs.
Discover Delectable Dining & Drinks
There are plenty of choices for sipping and savoring, like:
- The Lone Buffalo by Tangled Roots Brewery in Ottawa: Visit their original restaurant and main brewery that features a hops and barley farm and large twin copper brewing kettles imported from Bavaria. Set up a leisure brewery tour and bring home some brew.
- BASH in Ottawa: Can’t decide if you’re in the mood for a juicy burger or fresh sushi? Have both at this unique establishment that brings everyone to the table with options for every palate and craving. If you enjoy mixed drinks, this is the place for you as they have an extraordinary menu of their own concoctions!
- Garzanelli’s Supper Club in Oglesby: Check out this supper spot for some of the best family-style fried chicken in the area. They also offer appetizers, salads, fried chicken, shrimp, filet mignon, pork chops, pizza, pasta and desserts, all for dine-in or carryout.
- Aces and Eights in Tonica just minutes from our cabins: Grab some grub at this establishment with some of the best bar food around. Get your fix for burgers, wraps, salad and drinks.
Come Home to a Comfortable Cabin
If you’d rather eat in and prepare your own gourmet meal, our private cabins near Starved Rock State Park have full kitchens with pots and pans, cooking utensils, and dishes. Use your picnic table and charcoal grill, or the gas grill at Jack’s Deluxe. After a homemade meal, pop some popcorn or make s’mores at your personal outdoor bonfire pit and spend some time with your special someone or family. Then turn in to get a good night’s rest in one of our cabins, complete with thermostat-controlled heating and cooling, Flat screen TV with DVD player and fresh linens on the beds. Plan your sweet summer escape and come stay with us!